Monday, August 25, 2008

Useful Resources

I have added a new section to the sidebar of this blog entitled Useful Resources. I will continually update this section with things I learn as I go through life as a Celiac here in Raleigh, NC.

For now, the list includes my Doctor, where I went for my small bowel endoscopy, my Nutritionist, where I went for my bone density scan and the website celiac.org. My doctor recommends this website as your first reference. There can be a lot of misleading information out there so beware.

In addition, see below for my homemade restaurant card. I combined text from several examples I have seen and made a card that I felt had the best information on it. Feel free to use this and also to copy it into Word and then translate it into other languages as I did. I have Spanish, Chinese and Japanese for when I go to those type restaurants and the Chef's may not speak English.

I have Celiac Disease and cannot tolerate gluten.

It is imperative that persons with this hereditary disorder avoid eating wheat, rye, oats, barley and all derivatives of these grains to avoid intestinal damage. Other sources include bread, flour, flour thickeners, coating, mixes, sauces, soy sauce, marinades, malt, malt flavoring, hydrolyzed vegetable or plant protein, modified food starch, pasta, breadcrumbs, semolina, croutons, stuffing, orzo, some herbal teas, broth, self-basting poultry and imitation bacon or seafood and soup base.

If I eat any food, product, chemical additive, or stabilizer containing even a trace of wheat, rye, oats, barley, triticale, spelt, kamut, malt, or any derivatives of these grains, I will become ill.

It is also important that my food (prepared without the above ingredients) does not come into contact with other food or cooking surfaces which may contain the above ingredients. Cross contamination will occur if bowls, utensils, cutting boards, frying pans, deep fryers, boiling water, toasters, etc... are used to prepare my foods after gluten containing foods have been prepared.

I am able to eat foods containing corn and rice.

If necessary, please check with the chef to make sure my food does not contain (or come into contact with) any of the ingredients listed above and help me order a meal I can safely enjoy.

Thank you very much

0 comments:

Post a Comment