late last week, Mellow Mushroom has finally rolled out their new Gluten Free pizzas. I had the opportunity today to meet the folks behind the pizza, see how it is prepared and cooked and most importantly taste the new pie. I'd like to start off with a big thanks to Triangle Mellow Mushroom owner Casey (Raleigh, Durham and Wake Forest locations) for inviting me in to see the process and taste the product. Also, thanks to the two members of MM corporate (John and Eric) for providing all the pertinent information so that I could properly share this exciting news with you. And to Fred Lybrand of Juno Nutrition for again having great connections.
Here are the important points to remember...
- Mellow Mushroom is using a frozen pizza crust product from Still Riding Pizza. The crusts are made in a dedicated GF facility and shipped to each MM location frozen.
- MM is bringing in nearly 50 GFCO certified Gluten Free toppings/ingredients for it's GF pizza. All these ingredients are kept in a separate preparation area away from the main prep line for wheat pizzas.
- MM has developed an extensive preparation procedure that will be used by "certified Gluten Free pizza makers" to deliver safe pizzas to those who cannot tolerate Gluten. I saw this procedure in writing and will try to get a copy to share with you.
- MM only uses corn meal in their restaurants when preparing wheat pizza, thus no atmospheric gluten.
- MM keeps all GF toppings, supplies and crusts in a dedicated area. All GF pizzas will be prepared in this dedicated location. They use separate utensils as well.
- MM will be using dedicated GF screens to cook the GF pizzas in a shared oven (wheat pizzas are placed directly on the oven stone itself) to avoid cross-contamination while baking.
As per the Gluten Free Raleigh "Paul Seelig" Product Testing Policy, I did perform an EZ-Gluten test on a sample of my pepperoni/mushroom pizza. See the pictures for more information but I'm happy to report that the result was negative (actual test strip on the far left).
Mellow Mushroom is looking for your feedback on their new Gluten Free Pizzas and preparation/cooking procedure. Please visit their Contact Us Web site to let them know your thoughts and be sure to give this new Gluten Free Pizza option a try.