Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Useful Resources: The Dentist

Most folks go to the dentist twice per year for regular cleanings. I went last week for the first time since being diagnosed with CD. Upon entering I questioned my dental hygienist about the products they use in their office for cleanings. I told them I was looking for ingredient information in the polishing paste they use at the end of the cleaning. They went in the back and pulled out some boxes and found one called NUPRO. Right there on the side of the box was "Gluten Free" and I felt relieved. Word of caution, not all of them are Gluten Free but NURPO mint flavor definitely is GF.

Also, I spoke with my dentist about my condition (he said they learned about Celiac Disease in Dental school) because I was worried that my malabsorption problems could have affected my tooth enamel. I told him that I had also been diagnosed with osteopenia so I figured my teeth would be having problems as well. My teeth seemed OK to the dentist but I did leave with a box of prescription strength Colgate Prevident 5000 Plus. This toothpaste is high in flouride and should be applied (but not rinsed out) after I brush my teeth at night with normal toothpaste. I checked the ingredients for Glutenous items but didn't see any. If you feel you are having a problem with your teeth due to CD, you can ask your dentist about this toothpaste or if they recommend something else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment