Monday, December 8, 2008

Grocery Store Review: Kroger

I actually do most of my GF shopping at the Kroger which is right around the corner from my house. Whole Foods is about 20 minutes away (without any traffic) on the other side of town and the new Trader Joe's is not open in Raleigh yet (more to come on this).

Anyway, not sure if all area Kroger have the same selection of GF items as the one by me, but I am very pleased with what my local Kroger offers. I have an easy time finding cereal, pasta, frozen foods, soups, crackers, cookie/brownie/bread mix/pizza mix, frozen and fresh bread, waffles, power bars, cookies and much more in the Nature's Market section.

In addition, in the last few months, numerous Gluten Free signs have gone up beside the product price labels on store shelves. This really makes the item pop out at you when you are hunting through the other organic/non-GF items in the Nature's Market section (FYI - I always still read the ingredients!).

Here are a couple Web sites with more information.
Healthy Living page
Kroger Private Labels Product page
Gluten Store Guide page

2 comments:

Sarah said...

If it's the same one I go to in the North Raleigh area, I agree that the selection is great. I can't speak for other store locations though.

Also, I noticed some gluten free pasta at Wal-Mart the other day - I think that's a big step forward! Also Wal-Mart marks its gluten free "Great Value" brands as such right on the label!

springsandra said...

Hi Zach,

Glad to hear you're having a good experience at your local Kroger. My boyfriend and I shop at our local Kroger (which from your description of where Trader Joe's is, is not your Kroger) and find their selection to be pretty good. Lots of Amy's soups, a good organic section with nice signage, lots of Mary's Gone Crackers and pre-made Pamela's cookies, as well as good GF mixes. The frozen selections do have something to be lacking (I've seen way better selection at some local specialty stores in Brooklyn, NY, but that's a bit far from Cary...) but they're definitely headed in the right direction.

I've been to Trader Joe's several times and don't especially like their GF selections. Even the products they label as "GF" are mostly subject to contamination, and they're really hard to find. I know some people swear by their waffles and pancakes (in the frozen section) but we're not really breakfast people.

I definitely agree with you about reading all the labels.

I love your blog, btw. :) Thanks for all the great info and links!

-Sandra

Post a Comment