!!!EVENT SOLD OUT!!!
In coordination with Earth Fare Healthy Supermarket, the Gluten Free Raleigh Blog is proud to announce a special Gluten Free Raleigh Event featuring Celiac author and Gluten Free expert, Jules Shepard. The event will feature a unique blend of Gluten Free Lifestyle topics to promote awareness of Celiac Disease and the Gluten Free Diet.
When - Saturday, February 28th, 2009
Time - 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM
Location - Earth Fare - Brier Creek location. (click for map)
Cost - $20 per person*
This special Gluten Free Raleigh Event will feature three segments as outlined below.
- Jules Shepard Book Signing (9:30 AM - 10 AM) - Jules Shepard will be available before the Gluten Free Cooking Demonstration at Earth Fare to sign either of her two books about Celiac Disease (The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed) or Gluten Free Cooking (Nearly Normal Cooking For Gluten-Free Eating: A Fresh Approach to Cooking and Living Without Wheat or Gluten).
- Jules Shepard Gluten Free Cooking Demonstration (10 AM - 11:30 AM)- Jules Shepard will be on site conducting a cooking demonstration/class for participants featuring baked good items utilizing her own GF flour mix - a product line called Nearly Normal All Purpose Flour and Baking Mixes. The line includes a Muffin/Scone mix, a Cookie mix and a Graham Cracker/Gingerbread mix. This portion of the event will feature an interactive opportunity to learn Gluten Free cooking tips and tricks from an expert in the field.]
- Earth Fare Guided Gluten Free Tour (11:30 AM - 12 PM) - A representative from Earth Fare will be taking participants through a guided tour of the store showcasing Earth Fare's Gluten Free products and their placement in the store.
About Jules Shepard
See my previous post about Jules here.
About Earth Fare
Earth Fare is a healthy foods supermarket which began in Asheville, North Carolina in 1975. An expansion, which began in the late 1990's, has brought the grocery store to Greenville and Columbia, South Carolina, Greensboro, Boone, Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina, Athens and Augusta, Georgia, and Knoxville and Johnson City, Tennessee. Earth Fare states on it's Web site the following about the products it chooses to carry -
You can tell that Earth Fare takes a lot of pride in the products they carry. Earth Fare also makes it easy for gluten intolerant customers to find foods they can stomach – pun intended. With over 1000 gluten-free items to choose from and clearly marked “gluten-free sets” within the store, shoppers don’t have to guess about where to find gluten-free products anymore.
We sell foods as close to the ground as it gets. Products with these ingredients/processes WILL NOT BE SOLD at Earth Fare :
- NO hydrogenated or partially- hydrogenated oils added trans-fats
- NO high fructose corn syrup
- NO artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners & preservatives
- NO antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones or animal by-products in the feed (fresh meats & milk)
- NO bleached or bromated flour
- NO irradiated single source spices, produce or meat
- NO animal by-products in pet foods
- NO inhumane treatment of the animals providing us with dairy, meat and eggs
I'd like to personally thank Earth Fare for donating ingredients/supplies for the cooking demonstration and being extremely helpful in organizing this event.
Also, a very special thank you to Jules Shepard for traveling to Raleigh to take part in this event.
*Proceeds from this event will benefit both the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness and the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research.